Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So where have we been?

I know. It’s been a while since we blogged anything here. To be honest, I just haven’t felt like it. And I still don’t, but I’m hoping that writing SOMETHING will be cathartic. Lately I feel as though I’m running on empty. So many people rely on me for so many things and I simply have nothing left to give them. I really wish this wasn’t how I feel, but it is. It would be nice if I could “pick myself up by my own bootstraps”, but I can’t. Now bear in mind that I am perfectly aware that the way I feel is part of the normal ebb and flow of human emotion and I’ll be back to feeling “full” again soon, but getting there stinks. I also know that there is a very good chance that this time is bringing about personal growth. Mystics throughout history have reported the greatest amount of personal development comes during times “in the desert”. In fact, many individuals and groups seek out difficulties in order to “force” growth. I have no desire to do that however.
I should probably take my own advice from a conversation I had with a friend a little while ago. My friend was lamenting going through a rough time and wondering what it was for. I told the ‘pretty stone’ story. It goes like this. Next time you walk along the beach, when you find the smoothest, shiniest, prettiest stone on the beach, think what that stone had to go through to get that way. It started out as a rough ugly rock with all kinds of sharp edges. Over time that rock was battered by the waves and ‘smashed’ against sand and other rocks. I’m sure it wasn’t much fun for the rock. But over time, through repeated ‘abuse’, the rock became smooth, shiny and beautiful. And eventually it washed on to the beach where everyone can enjoy its beauty. I’m looking forward to ‘hitting the beach’.
Until then I’ll continue ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ (which is ok if you’re Paul but really stinks if you’re Peter) with finances as we continue to deal with unexpected medical bills, and with time as I continue to try to honor my commitments.
Remember that the Princess is having more surgery next Thursday (the 11th) so please remember her. Expect full reports and updates here.

Check back soon (and often),

Dave and (the looking forward to Fall Princess) Julie

P.S. – I’m considering a career as a superhero. What do you think?

No comments: