Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bad news, good news.

I’m reminded of the story about the old Native American chief who came out to address his tribe late one fall and said “I have bad news and I have good news. The bad news is that all of our crops have failed and we’ll have to subsist this winter on buffalo dung”. After a few moments of stunned silence, a voice called from the crowd “So what’s the good news?” The chief replied “The good news is that there is an abundance of buffalo dung”.
So goes the Princess luck with doctors appointments this past week. The good news is that they believe they’ve finally found the source of the elusive infection that has been ‘eating’ the Princess since shortly after her surgery. The bad news is that it’s going to require more surgery to fix. So the Princess is scheduled for more surgery on Thursday September 11th. The good news is that this surgery will not be nearly as extensive and her post operative restrictions will not be either. The bad news is (according to the Princess) that she’s not ‘done with all of this’ yet and also (according to me) that she will be at the mercy of her partially blind, inept caretaker again (and by the way SHE will do the grocery shopping before she goes under the knife). Perhaps by the holidays she’ll be back to being better than her old self. Time will tell. At any rate, please remember to keep her, and her medical team, in your prayers.
As for my medical week, I had a ‘routine follow up’ visit to my eye surgeon this past week. The good news is that my intraocular pressure is staying down on its’ own so I won’t need to continue medication for it. The bad news is that the ‘bad blood vessels’ have started leaking again. At this point it’s not bad enough to require intervention, but it is yet another reminder that I’ll get to ‘enjoy’ having that treated again. Yuck. I do not enjoy having needles stuck directly in my eye or any of the other ‘fun’ stuff they have to do.
So with all of these time and financial constraints, it’s pretty obvious that I won’t be taking any classes this semester. I guess that just means that I’ll have to devise my own study plan. The plus side of that is not having to worry about papers or exams.
The grapes in the vineyard are ripening nicely so hopefully I’ll soon have fruit to do ‘something’ with. Gee, I wonder what that ‘something’ will be.
Well, that’s all the “good news” I have to report right now. Hopefully the next blog post will be much ‘brighter’. Until then…..

Check back soon (and often)

Dave and (the hopefully soon uninfected Princess) Julie

No comments: