Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Be the Turtle.

I’m pleased to report that I did not live an un-‘deliberate’ life today. I worked hard at maintaining focus on the ‘big rocks’ and generally “practicing what I preach” (but it’s only Tuesday). I usually live like the rabbit in the story of the race between the turtle and the rabbit. Today I tried to live ‘slow and steady’, rather than burning out early. The Princess, for her part, went out of her way and made hot bacon dressing this evening. It was yummy on a spinach salad for dinner. I just went to the kitchen for some fudge (hey, we WERE in Mackinac), and she shooed me away from it (sigh) “For my own good”. Still no word from the Princess’s doctor on the infection today. Maybe tomorrow.
I’ve been listening to the audiobook “The Language of God” by Francis S. Collins and was intrigued by something today. He speaks of a ‘peace’ accompanying the decision to take a particular job. I have been thinking about ‘peace’ ever since. I believe ‘peace’ is an important part of a ‘deliberate’ life. To muster the required focus in living a ‘deliberate’ life one must have peace. I’ve been studying peace this evening. I’d love to report some earth-shattering realization resulting from it, but I can’t. I’m still studying. How does one “get” peace? I think peace is like happiness. To paraphrase an old adage ”….it’s like a butterfly. If you chase it, it will elude you. If you sit quietly, it will come and perch on your shoulder”. How does one keep from going crazy while sitting quietly and waiting for peace? My answer is “I have NO idea (but I’m workin’ on it)”. But if this picture the Princess took of the Mackinac Bridge taken through a porthole of the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse tower doesn’t bring about some peace, I don’t know what will.

Check back soon (and often)

Dave and (the Princess who makes me behave) Julie

No comments: