Sunday, August 21, 2011

First, fly the aircraft


Well the whirlwind that is my life has subsided to the point that I actually have a moment to commit a few thoughts to the blog.

Last Thursday, The Randy & Dave Show entertained at the United Way ‘Kickoff to the Kickoff’ event. Saturday night we also had the opportunity to perform at Car Tunes on Main in Findlay. Those things combined with the ‘joy’ of being on-call at work has left me pretty tired today (and I suppose the disease and lack of caffeine contribute to that as well). I think it’s nothing a few good naps can’t fix.

One day last week I was chatting with my friend Naubinway Jeff (http://naubinwaynook.blogspot.com) the other day and the topic of my recent diagnosis came up. He asked ‘how I was doing’ in dealing with my diagnosis. I told him (truthfully) that it truly didn’t affect my outlook on things. I likened it to what pilots are taught to hold as their primary thought in mind; “First, fly the aircraft”. The idea is simple. A pilot has ONE responsibility; keep the aircraft under control. Don’t allow distractions to take your focus off the primary objective. I live life the same way. I plan to keep on living and not allow ‘distractions’ to keep me from it.

Summer is starting to wind down here on the farm. The gardens are looking pretty tired, but the vineyard is beginning to get ready for harvest. I still have a lot of work to do in the vineyard (surgery wasn’t in my plans). Maybe I’ll schedule a “Guys Play Date” to finish everything up. I can’t tell you how lucky I am to have such a great group of guys that love to come and help (no matter how hot and dirty the work is).

Tomorrow I go for all my pre-surgical testing. That should prove to make for a very unexciting day of poking and prodding.

Check back soon (and often),

Dave and (the perpetually patient Princess) Julie

No comments: