Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Next Big Thing

So yesterday I posted a tweet in frustration (which also updated my Facebook status). And like grandma said “Hindsight is always 20/20.” I wish I would have timed it better. What I said was:

I hate #thatawkwardmoment when people first try to talk to you after they find out you're a cancer patient. I'm going to be FINE people!!!

The tweet was my reaction to the look of pity and awkward silence I was getting at work and it went pretty much unnoticed (as I expected). The Facebook update was a different story. I got FLAMED for not providing enough information,not telling people personally, etc. And while they may be right, I can only do so much with 140 characters. So I apologize to those who feel ‘cheated’ and I’ll do what I can to fill in all the details here.

Last Tuesday one of my myriad of physicians discovered two (yes, 2) tumors in my bladder. His first comment was “You’re damn lucky; we almost never find them this early”. I asked him in 9 out of 10 cases what “them” was. He replied “9 out of 10 times it’s bladder cancer”. By the tone of his voice I’m of the belief that 10 out of 10 times it’s cancer, but that’s not what I asked him. Very clever, those doctors. So as of that moment I know what it’s like to be a cancer patient. The doc was quick to point out that with this type of cancer I won’t need radiation or chemotherapy (unless it’s spread beyond these tumors). They’ll remove these tumors surgically and after some recovery time, I’ll be good as new. As of right now my surgery is scheduled for the morning of August 30th. I’ll be ‘laid up’ for a few weeks and on ‘light duty’ until sometime around mid-October. I’ll get re-checked every 3 months for two years and every 6 months for 3 years after that for re-growth. If they stay gone all that time, I’ll be deemed cancer-free.

Until then, I'm still me. I love to laugh and joke around. Don't be awkward (or I might make you pull my finger). Life's too short not to have fun!

I’ve decided to start updating the blog to keep everyone up to speed on what is happening (and how quickly I’m recovering).

Check back soon (and often),

Dave and (the soon to be reluctant nurse Princess) Julie

3 comments:

Juliet said...

Very glad to hear that the cancer is nothing super SERIOUS. Which sounds ridiculous when one is referring to cancer, but having had cancer run rampant through both sides of my family, I know what you're talking about. I didn't want to ask when you posted that on Twitter/FB since I'm just a "virtual" friend, but glad that everything should/will be ok. Oh, and I'd never checked out your blog before. I, too can go from Mozart to Metallica and then to Brad Paisley in the space of 10 minutes or so. :-)

Karen Lynne said...

I soooooo agree! Cancer is no longer a death sentence. We have been programmed to panic at the mere mention of the "C" word and people are never comfortable in dealing with what they consider life threatening situations! I really think they should change the name of the disease.
I personally experienced some moments of anger that it would invade MY body but when I got over myself I proceeded to deal with it in the best medical manner available and with a positive emotional attitude.
Go Dave!

Kylee Baumle said...

I have no doubt this will turn out well. Praying that your surgery goes well and you're soon up and around tormenting the masses as usual! ;-) Big hugs for you! Hope to see you and Julie soon!