Monday, July 7, 2008

The Julie Report +1 week



So much for being royalty.

The Princess returned to work today (as did her bumbling caretaker). I guess she couldn't lounge on the patio with animal footwarmers forever.
(that's Tigg'r the tomcat looking at you in the picture while hugging Julies toes)

She certainly is in better shape than I thought. I said this morning that I would be surprised if she lasted until noon in the office. She not only made it through the whole day, but when I picked her up at quitting time she actually had more 'spunk' left in her than I've seen her exhibit for some time. I guess maybe spending the day around people who pass gas for a living must do something to invigorate you (in the spirit of full disclosure I have to tell you that she works for a natural gas utility company). My day was like most of the others; trying to take care of about eighteen things at once because nobody thought to plan out what the ramifications of their business decisions would be. Oh well, I guess that's "job security" (which really doesn't exist anymore, but I'll save that for a future blog).

After our first day back on the job we're both wondering why we spend so much time making a living at the expense of making a life. I guess maybe it's because living a 'deliberate' life is hard. By deliberate life I mean one where you make your own decisions rather than letting someone else make them for you, and you take your own actions rather than allowing someone else to act for you. It's easier to just 'go with the flow' and take advantage of all the good things that life in the 21st century has to offer (like blogging). Recently I've committed myself to strive to live a more deliberate life. I'll try to share with you how it's going.

Well I should go help Julie pick up in the kitchen after our scrumptious dinner of scrambled eggs & little sausages.

Check back soon (and often)

Dave and (the ever harder to keep down) Julie

No comments: